Tuesday 18 June 2013

Random Road: Lake Ainslie Edition

Most seasoned service workers in Inverness County (wait staff, gas pumpers, etc.) have been asked this question by a tourist--"So...what do you do around here for fun?" The question points to our rural existence in a way that I used to find slightly offensive, wanting to respond with the same things most of you do. We go to parties, we make love, we eat, we watch a film now and then. But I get it, I do. We're a bit off the main grid. If I had time, I sometimes answered the visitor with a list of my own hobbies. If I didn't, I replied with "Oh, when you're curious, you find lots of things to do." I stopped relying on that answer when I found out it that it was also a quotation attributed to Walt Disney, but it's still an idea that I hold on to when I find myself alone on a day off from work, all my menial chores are accomplished, and I can't sit still to read. When those circumstances arise, it is time to be curious. Checking out every dirt road in the county, followed by their branching paths, creates enough activity to fill many summers worth of such days.

Thanks our natural industries, there's an almost infinite number of dirt roads in our county. The following is an image of Lake Ainslie as seen from a short distance up a gravel pit road located at  
N 46 11 004 W 061 14 370 (about ten minutes up Deepdale Road from Inverness). I caught this view today while searching for a geocache a short climb from the road's end. The view was great, and the black flies minimal.The geocache itself was less rewarding, having been blocked in by thick alders that have grown up since its placement.




Geocaches in Area:
"Mounting the Lake Ainslie Haven (RR #2)" N 46° 11.195 W 061° 14.024 Status: Area grown in (2013-06-18) GCVWTT.

No comments:

Post a Comment