Tuesday 4 June 2013

Portree Falls

The Portree Falls are one of Margaree's hidden gems, though I begin with a cautionary note. I have a particular aversion to the domesticated dogs on the adjacent property. They are farm dogs whose role is to protect the sheep, and while their owner is the nicest man you could ever meet and likely gets along with them just greatly, their ferocious bark and predatory stance are enough to keep me wary. I brought my mutt Ella with me on my first excursion, and I had her on a leash, but her mere presence was enough to alert the hounds. When they approached on the fly, I just braced myself for a fight. I was lucky enough to be with someone who had a commanding holler and fended them off without a problem. Portree Falls are a fairly popular visiting spot for locals, so I guess people usually find their way through these fields without incident. I mention the dogs just as a warning, and not to prevent anyone from going there. My second visit, sans-dog, was quieter.

To get there from Margaree Forks, take the left onto East Big Intervale Road (on your right coming from Sydney). Shortly after, take the left onto Cranton Crossing Rd. At the Irving, turn right onto West Big Intervale Rd. Follow for about eight kilometers and then park near where safe (anywhere along the road near the bridge is fine). Follow the trail from C. Ross's field. At times, this area floods and may not be easily managed in the spring. The field is usually more or less dry in later summer and the trail navigated easily.

Rarely one to shy away from even the greasiest of rock climbing opportunities, here is Russell, partway up the falls.
These are one of the most beautiful falls to escape the attention of the local hiking and waterfall guides. At the base of the falls is a gorgeous swimming hole, surrounded by rock face and making for an unquestionably magnificent spot.

Geocaches in area:
None as of yet.



1 comment: