Sunday 5 May 2013

Fishing Cove

Fishing Cove is another hike "down"--which is why a lot of hikers choose to take the long way in, and the short way out, which is all uphill. The longer route follows more water, which is something you might want to keep in mind for a pet. Parks Canada lists the longer route at 12 km return, and the shorter at 5.7 km. Both trail-heads can be found at the top of MacKenzie Mountain

Map - Fishing Cove
Map - Fishing Cove © Parks Canada

At the bottom, you'll be at a small ocean cove, and have the option of swimming in either fresh or salt water. This is also the site of the National Park's only "wilderness camping" site--something I've never really been interested in myself, because the park does not allow open fires on the site. If you were interested in camping here, it's pertinent to know that the walk back out is very steep, from sea level to 1,165 ft, and there are no garbage bins on site--everything must come back out with you. Registration must be made at either the Cheticamp or Ingonish centers. There is also no potable water on site. Those who do camp here seem to love it, and love the sunsets and sunrises of the ocean panorama, but there are other spots where I feel I can have the "wilderness" feeling and not sacrifice my campfire. 

When I do go to Fishing Cove, I definitely spend some time at the beach, or midway point of a return trip. It's often nice and cool by the water, and knowing what the trek back up has in store, I'll take my time. There are fishing opportunities here as well, though anglers should contact the Cheticamp or Ingonish offices of the park for permits and to confirm restrictions, since regulations in the park differ from the waters outside of the park.


Absolutely terrible, but this is the only picture I have in my stash of Fishing Cove at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment