Tuesday 13 August 2013

Mabou Salmon Hole


My connections in Mabou kept speaking of a swimming hole in the area that they wanted us to see, so this beautiful August afternoon Russell and I nephew-napped a kind seventeen-year old to show us the way down. Just after Mabou, take the Rankinville road and park on the side of the road near N46 03.196', W061 20.323. Look for the mobile home on the left side of the road. Someone does stay there, so don't park in their driveway, but the hike is just up there behind their place. Since we were with someone who heads up there quite frequently, I didn't stop and ask the lady for permission to tramp past her living room window, but a kinder soul might just do that.

I guess I underestimate the athleticism of young people, because I expected the swimming hole to be about twenty feet away--it's not. The trail winds through medium-length grass at first, then through mixed hardwoods for a distance. Look for the remains of the 'haunted house,' back there, said to be the site of an exorcism or two--though, truly, I think half of the old farm houses in Mabou have that reputation. Shortly after the home you'll start the descent. Here is where I realized this is definitely hiking-shoe or sneaker territory. Thinking only of the swimming, I had brought sandals and this is more of an Egypt-Falls-type walk than a trek to the beach. The journey is not long, but it's a steep ascent on the way back out. NOTE: Keep an eye out both ways for barbed fencing. I wish we had brought snips, because that stuff's not fun to get in the leg and I don't think there's any animals grazing down there anymore.

The salmon hole itself boasts the warmest water I've ever seen coming from a brook. This may have been the reason it was once spawning ground (not sure). When the sun is at it's highest point, the fantastic rock formations and old concrete around make a great sunbathing spot, with lots of dry flat room to stretch out. After noon, the treeline provides shade for the near side of the pool, with the far side getting sun through most of the day. All in all, a very great spot without the overwhelming popularity that some of my other favored swimming holes get (Gypsum Mine in Cheticamp, for example, which often seems to have too many people).




Where Dylan is (right) is a perfect jumping-off point.











No comments:

Post a Comment